The star apple, also known as cainito, caimito, tar apple, star plum, or milk fruit, is a tropical fruit known for its creamy texture and sweet flavor. Here’s a simple recipe to make star apple juice:
Star Apple Juice Recipe
- 4-5 ripe star apples
- 1-2 cups of cold water (depending on desired consistency)
- 1-2 tablespoons of sugar or honey (adjust to taste)
- A pinch of salt (optional, to enhance flavor)
- Ice cubes (optional)
- A squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice (optional, for a tangy twist)
- Preparation of Star Apples: Begin by washing the star apples thoroughly. Slice them in half and remove the seeds. The soft pulp inside is what you’ll be using.
- Extracting the Pulp: Using a spoon, scoop out the creamy pulp from the skin. Be gentle to avoid including any of the skin, as it can be slightly astringent.
- Blending: In a blender, combine the star apple pulp, water, sugar or honey, and a pinch of salt. Blend until the mixture is smooth. If you like your juice with a bit of tang, add a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.
- Taste and Adjust: Taste the juice. If it’s too thick for your liking, add a bit more water. If it’s not sweet enough, add a bit more sugar or honey. Blend again if adjustments are made.
- Serve: Pour the star apple juice into glasses. You can add ice cubes if you like your juice cold. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Note: Star apple has a naturally creamy texture, which means the juice will be somewhat thicker than other fruit juices. Adjust the water content according to your preference for consistency.
Remember, always choose ripe star apples for the best flavor. They should feel slightly soft to the touch and have a deep purple or green color, depending on the variety. Enjoy your homemade star apple juice!